Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Internet Jabberwocky

"Twas Brillig and the slithy Toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe,
All mimsy were the borogoves
And the momeraths outgrabe.
Beware the Jabberwock, my son,
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jub-jub bird and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"
from Jabberwocky by Lewis Carroll

Does this poem remind anyone else of instructions you may have read recently for installing a "widget" on your "blog," "search engine optimization," posting a "Squidoo lens" or a "reTweet," or deleting "cookies" from your browser?

Do they teach this stuff in high school now as a foreign language? Is there a dictionary for all these terms the internet gurus toss about like feathered hackie-sacks? And, most to the point, when will I become proficient in online insider-speak?

I believe I am at least well on the road to internet fluency these days. Furthermore, I hereby pledge to the entire listening internet community (I think that means you, Crysta) that once I do achieve the proficiency I am seeking, I will never flamboozle (my own jabberwocky for "confuse with needless sleight of hand") a newbie with undefined terms or procedures.

Now, if only I could get my BetterNetworker "badge" to upload onto this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment