Friday, January 9, 2009

Mittmittmitt!

Such a diverse community, this internet world! And how exciting to get little glimpses into scenes I have never experienced and likely never will. For instance, did you even know that some people play polo riding elephants? Now, there's a niche market for you -- elephant polo sticks. They must be pretty long.

As I was flipping through other blogs on Blogger (using the enticing little "Next Blog" tool), I found relatively few of them in English and many seething with a dark sinuous energy that fascinated me, like a small child peeking through the door at her parents having sex. I was glad, though, these blog personna were safely on the other side of my computer Looking Glass, rather than out here with me.

I wonder if someday we will, like Alice, be able to step through the Looking Glass created by the endlessly variegated content on our computer screens. There's a fascinating book about this (I just tried to find the author's name by Googling "mind computer merge;" it might have been Ray Kurzweil, but I'm not sure) tracing how the process could -- and in this guy's opinion, will -- take place. It was a very compelling argument, even for an old-fashioned theist like myself.

Well, if I could step through my computer Looking Glass today -- only briefly, mind you! -- I would walk into the world of a nearby blog with blacked-out background and white text in an unknown language with strong visceral-sounding words like "gar" and "jett." The photo I recall was shot looking up at a dynamic young woman dressed all in close-fitting black with microphone to her mouth and the inscrutable (for me) caption over her head, "mittmittmitt!"

If it could be arranged somehow, I'd gladly give that young woman a little tour around my woods and creek and introduce her to my animals, if I could stand in her audience for a few moments and soak up that thrumming alien energy.

Eventually, will we become whoever we visit in our computer Looking Glass flights of fancy? I think I agree with Kurzweil (or whoever it was); we surely seem to be headed in that direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment